Thursday 12 December 2013

Sweet Potato Halwa – Vegan Indian Pudding

I always talk about simple sweet potato recipes and its goodness that how they are healthy to have, how they are good for your body etc. This time I am sharing an Indian delicacy that one of my Indian friend sent me via email. This recipe is for the people who have craving for eating something sweet after every meal. Today I am making “sweet potato halwa” (Indian name to an eggless pudding). *This could be great dessert recipe for Christmas dinner too, healthy and nourishing dessert*


This recipe is not just healthy but she has sent me a recipe which is less in fats and calories too. So what else you want; it fall under perfect healthy recipes. The spices and ingredient used are Indian but they are easily available in any shop. It’s a best and sweetest example of mashed sweet potato recipe. I have tried this recipe and believe me it was super yummy and scrumptious.

One more thing, the recipe she shared with me was altered for diabetic people and she used artificial sweetener instead of sugar. I am using normal sugar here, because I have read somewhere artificial sweeteners are not good for kids and babies. Well I will share both things so you can try this quick and easy recipe anyway you want.

This recipe is simple and quick to make which that can be prepared in just 10 minutes. Moreover, this can be served warm or cold any which way you want. Its rich in fiber, potassium, calcium and other vital nutrients minus the extra added calories and fats. So, let’s quickly go through the preparations and method –

This recipe can serve up to 6 servings
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients –
  • 2 cups sweet potato peeled and mashed
  • 1 cup low-fat milk
  • 1 cup sugar or 1 tbsp. artificial sweetener
  • 1-2 tsp. ghee
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
  • Mixed nuts to garnish (chopped almonds, cashew nuts, pistachio)



Method –
  1. Boil the sweet potato peel and mash; or in a microwave set on high power cook for about 6-7 minutes. Peel and mash into smooth and keep aside.
  2. Now take a non-stick skillet pan on medium-high heat and add ghee in it. Add the mashed sweet potatoes and sauté it for 2 to 3 minutes.
  3. Add the milk, sugar and ½ cup of water and simmer it for 1 to 2 minutes ensuring that the mixture has little liquid remaining but not completely dry. Now add ground cardamom and cinnamon powder over it. Add little more ghee (about 1 tsp.) in it and nuts to garish.

The halwa is ready to serve. My kids love this dish. If you have any suggestions or query, comment below. If you have any sweet potato story or dish that you want to share, you can share that too. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much I do. Stay happy and Healthy.

Love
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment